Frequently Asked Questions


1. I was a victim of an assault and I was taken to a medical facility for treatment. I don’t have the money to pay the bill. What can I do?

We provide services to victims of a wide variety of crimes. The Crime Victims Center can help you complete an application for the Tennessee Criminal Injuries Fund. This fund assists innocent victims of crime with medical expenses caused by the crime, reimbursement for wages lost due to an injury caused by a victimization, and assistance paying for burial expenses due to a homicide. Call (901) 222-3950 and ask for assistance with victims’ compensation.

2. I am in a relationship where there has been violence. I’m afraid and don’t know what to do or where to start. Can you help me?

The advocates at the Crime Victims Center can provide crisis counseling to help you decide whether or not it is possible to stay safely in your relationship, or if leaving may be a better option.

We can help you to develop a safety plan, access social services for you and your children, and refer you to longer-term treatment sources.

Our Citizen's Dispute department is available to process orders of protection. We are located at:
1750 Madison Ave., Suite 100
Memphis, TN 38104
(901) 222-4013

3. My Sunday school class has been talking about crime in our community and we want to do something that could make a difference. Where should we start?

The Crime Victims Center provides outreach into the community to talk about crime, the affect it has on victims, and how each of us can help those in our midst who have been crime victims. We work collaboratively with many victim and social service agencies in the Memphis and Shelby County area and can tell you about opportunities to make a difference.

Call (901) 222-3950 for more information.